Game 1: Orioles 4, Red Sox 2
W – David Hernandez (8-8) L – Daisuke Matsuzaka (9-6) SV – Koji Uehara (10)
– Brian Matusz held the Red Sox to one run over 5 innings 4 strikeouts. He threw too many pitches, walking 3 and giving up 3 hits, but was able to keep Boston off the board for the most part.
– David Hernandez gave up a run in the 6th but pitched a scoreless 7th and was rewarded with the win after the Orioles took the lead in the 7th inning. Jim Johnson pitched a scoreless 8th and Koji Uehara got the save in the 9th, striking out two.
– Brian Roberts singled and walked twice. Nick Markakis doubled twice and walked.
– Luke Scott hit an RBI single, walked and had another single, and hit a sacrifice fly. Ty Wiggington also hit a sacrifice fly.
– Felix Pie, Cesar Izturis, and Josh Bell each hit singles in the game.
Player of the game: Nick Markakis – 2-4, R, BB, 2 doubles (43) (.290 AVG)
Game 2: Orioles 9, Red Sox 1
W – Brad Bergesen (8-10) L – Scott Atchison (2-3)
– Brad Bergesen continued to prove that the first half of this season was a fluke by holding the Red Sox to one run on 5 hits and 4 walks with 2 strikeouts over 6 innings.
– It took three pitchers to complete the 7th inning. Mark Hendrickson got the first two outs but gave up a hit. Alfredo Simon came in, walked the first batter he faced, and was immediately pulled from the game. Mike Gonzalez finished the inning and went on to pitch a scoreless 8th.
– Matt Albers gave up two hits in the 9th but was able to finish the game without allowing a run to come in.
– Brian Roberts continued his consistency, again going 1-3 with two runs and two walks. Nick Markakis singled twice, Luke Scott and Cesar Izturis singled once.
– Ty Wiggington and Adam Jones each had three hits. Wiggington hit his 21st homerun of the season, scored two runs, had three RBI, and walked. Jones doubled and scored twice.
– Matt Wieters doubled, Felix Pie tripled, and Robert Andino hit a sacrifice fly.
Player of the game: Ty Wiggington – 3-4, 2 R, 3 RBI, BB, HR (21) (.252 AVG)
Game 3: Orioles 1, Red Sox 6
W – John Lackey (13-11) L – Kevin Millwood (3-16)
– Kevin Millwood failed to match his previous start, getting roughed up for 6 runs on 7 hits and a walk with 5 strikeouts over 5 innings. He gave up a pair of homeruns in the game.
– David Hernandez pitched an inning and a third without allowing a run. He struck out three batters.
– Troy Patton finally made his Orioles debut, throwing 0.2 scoreless innings – allowing a hit and a walk while striking out a batter. Rick VandenHurk pitched a scoreless 9th, striking out two, but it was already too late at that point.
– The Orioles only run came in the 4th inning when Ty Wiggington doubled in Nick Markakis, who had singled.
– Luke Scott singled and doubled. Brian Roberts and Robert Andino each singled.
Player of the game: Luke Scott – 2-4, double (29) (.286 AVG)